Electric mountainboard – post #1 Motivation and what I’ve done so far

Hey,

I live in the capital of Poland – Warsaw. Since it’s a pretty big city, commuting takes quite a long time – especially from my new flat, which is located 5 kilometers from my faculty and 7 kilometers from my workplace. If I take a bus, one-way commute can take between 30 minutes to 1 hour. Right now I don’t want to buy a car (a bit too costly + traffic jams).

Commuting by bike takes 20-25 minutes, but the weather has to be good (temperature + no rainfall)  and being sweaty for next hour or so is pretty discouraging.

That’s why I came up with an idea of building an electric mountainboard. I can ride it even when it’s cold and if it starts raining I can grab the board and take a bus/tram.

In theory it’s simple: take a mountainboard, mount a motor or two on it, add remore control and motor drivers, batteries and Bob’s your uncle.

But in real life situation is not that simple:

Theory and practice

 

Nevertheless, I decided to try to build it.

I started thinking about building some kind of electric board in the end of 2014. Learing using Autodesk Inventor during 3rd term and buying 3D printer in February 2015 enabled me to turn vague thoughts into reality.

My initial approach was using a deck from a regular skateboard with mountainboard trucks and tyres, two BLDC motors with drivers, Li-po batteries, 3D printed motor mounts, power transmission via two sprockets and a chain.

I created a very simplified model in Autodesk Inventor:

render_20_05_2015

After printing the mounts and assembling the unit (without chain and sprockets):

eboard_motors_08_05_2015

Wheel sprocket was supposed to be mounted to the motor’s shaft using prop adapter.

My main problems with first version of the board were:

  • mounting sprocket wheel on motor’s shaft
  • radial and axial play of sprocket wheel mounted to a wheel’s rim
  • taking turns
  • board a bit too short
  • bearings inside motors were overly loaded with moment (long distance between motor and sprocket, shaft was unsupported on second end)

After first tests I bought a proper deck, redesigned motor mount (to minimise distance between motor and sprocket), added shaft support:

oprawa_lozyska_v1_2

 

For the last few days I worked mainly on electronics part of the board – I thermometers to monitor motor’s temperature and display in the front part of the board. I also worked on mechanical part – modified motor’s mounts a bit, prepared new sprockets with hubs.

Right now my 3D model looks like this:

board_11_07_2015

Most recent photos of the board:

20150604_102008 P1060848

I’m planning to make a test of my latest improvements tommorow. Fingers crossed!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *